States: How Many is too Many?
Based on Joint Senate Resolution Number 10, there will be 11 states in the New Republic:
1. Northern Luzon (Hilagang Luzon)
2. Central Luzon (Gitnang Luzon)
3. Southern Tagalog (Timog Katagalugan)
4. Bicol (Bicol)
5. Mindoro, Palawan, Romblon (Minparom)
6. Bangsamoro (Bangsamoro)
7. Eastern Visayas (Silangang Kabisayaaan)
8. Central Visayas (Gitnang Kabisayaan)
9. Western Visays (Kanlurang Kabisayaan)
10. Northern Mindanao (Hilagang Mindanao)
11. Southern Mindanao (Timog Mindanao)
and one Federal District, Metro Manila
There have been previous groupings proposed, including one by Dr. Abueva from a draft Federal Constitution has 10 states (called Estados):
2. Central and Southern Mindanao
3. Northern and Western Mindanao
4. Eastern Visays
5. Western Visays
7. Southern Luzon
8. Metro Manila
9. Central Luzon
10. Northern Luzon and Cordillera
A New Federal Capital is proposed in Clark (Similar, I guess, to Canberra, in Australia).
There are those who propose to convert the Super Regions designated by President GMA as the basis for the states in the Federation:
1. North and Central Luzon (Northern Luzon Agribusiness Quadrangle)
2. Southern Luzon and Bicol (Metro Manila Urban Beltway)
3. Visayas (Central Philippines)
4. Mindanao (Mindanao Super Region)
So, as a citizen of the Philippines, and as a would-be citizen of a state, what’s your take on this?
How many is too many?
How will the divisions be made? (ethno-linguistic? economic? etc.)
Territories: On Sabah and the Kalayaan Group of Islands
We can even invite the State of Sabah into our Federation, as a peaceful means by which we rightfully gain one of our lost lands. And the Kalayaan Group can either be a Special Administrative Territory or part of the Palawan state!
Should these be part of the constitutional amendments in our push for a Republikang Federal ng Filipinas?
Federal Cities: Only One?
What if we have 3 federal cities:
- City of Metro Davao – Seat of the Judiciary or the Judiciary Capital
- City of Metro Cebu – Seat of the Legislature or the Legislative Capital
- City of Metro Manila – Seat of the Executive or the Executive Capital
We can propose a vote via referendum on which of the three would be considered as the Federal Capital. But all three will have a Capital status.
Any other suggestions are most welcome!